Monday, March 03, 2008

Another Saltillo Repo!

On Leap Day, Friday, February 29th I took another CRJ down to Mexico to be repainted. In case you didn't know I took a first one, click here to read the post.

Now that you're all caught up, I won't repeat too much as it was essentially the exact same thing. This time we took ship N850AS. The guy down in Saltillo told me they're scheduled to paint 70 airplanes this year so I'm sure it's likely not the last time I'll do it.

Now a few videos for you from that trip.

The first one is me landing the plane as seen wedged between the windshield and the top of the instrument panel. Enjoy the view of the windshield wiper arm. I float forever and the landing is a little firm as the plane is about 10,000 pounds lighter than it normally is. The floating is due to the fact that at the lighter weight, we land about 30 mph SLOWER than we normally do with passengers on board and it feels very strange to be going that "slow," about 115 mph over the ground. So I'm going a little bit fast and the "float" or hanging over the runway before touchdown is because the airplane is not ready to settle. It still has energy in the form of extra speed.

Listen for the dual click of the thrust reversers being unlocked after touchdown and see if you can tell when the nose gear touches. It's very subtle and occurs a bit after the clicks.



Here we are riding through Mexico. My FO is from Nashville. Watch and you'll understand:




And of course, here are a few pictures to view from that trip.

No comments: