Saturday, March 26, 2005

Frosty Chalet

You know, I was thinking about it. There are a lot of words in the English language that are really fun to pronounce incorrectly rather than the way they're supposed to sound. At least I think so.

For example, anything that ends in the suffix, "et." I find myself eagerly awaiting the use of one of those words in conversation just so I can purposely annunciate that final T that's always left so rudely behind. I guess the French like T's like they like America, right?

My favorite word to apply this to is, of course, CHALET. Here in the USA, there really isn't a common need for the use of this word but I try and work it in there.

Let's see why:

Chalet: from dictionary.com

1. A wooden dwelling with a sloping roof and widely overhanging eaves, common in Switzerland and other Alpine regions.
2. A cottage or lodge built in this style.
3. The hut of a herder in the Swiss Alps.

Notice the multiple references to areas not in the USA.

There are 2 occasions which may bring you to using this word here in the states. One is if you go skiing. There is always a Chalet to be found somewhere at the slopes. Two is if you find yourself driving north on 395 through Owens Valley to the chalets at Mammoth Mountain ski area, you'll pass through Lone Pine, CA, home of the Frosty Chalet. It's the first place you should stop. Read this article if you don't believe me. Nearby is the famous Mt. Whitney, the highest point in the lower 48 states standing 14,494 feet. Check out the picture following this entry.

Therefore, I encourage you to go forth and mock the French. But make sure you only do it around people who are familiar with your humor and/or intelligence level as this could possibly make you sound quite ignorant.

And you thought this blog would only have entries about the wedding.

HA!

1 comment:

Allison said...

Wow... you are silly... and that is why I love you. (o;